removing cross beam on a D

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:19:36 EST

One of our piano faculty is practicing a George Crumm piece that requires her
to strum and pluck strings, and dampen half way with her fingers. She asked
me if I could remove the cross beam so she can get to the strings easier. She
said a friend of hers does this kind of music a lot, and remove this bar
herself.

Has anyone ever done this? What effect does it have on stability, tuning,
stress loads, etc.? If it doesn't have any effect, why is it there?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician
School of Music