Gratuities

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:45:24 -0500

On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 05:44 PM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> The flute prof said the accompanist is kind of flaky, and not to take
> it out on the flute player.

The flute prof is doing a good job of shifting blame.  It is the
professor who is at fault here.  It is the professor's job to teach the
student that logistics are integral to any performance.  Unfortunately,
the flute, violin, voice, trumpet, etc., professors are fairly ignorant
of the logistics involved with providing a piano accompaniment.  As
long as we keep bending through hoops in an effort to "not take it out
on the flute player", they will remain so.  So, I suppose in that, we
share a part of the blame.  But the professor was correct.  It was not
the fault of the flute player.

I have begged for some sort of communication device to be installed
into the recital scheduling process that informs those involved with
logistics, er, the piano tuner, of what's going on.  If you want your
recital recorded, you have to fill out a recording request form and
submit your money, or it doesn't get recorded.  But unknown to everyone
except the piano tuner, there is no channel of communication to the
piano tuner if an event takes place.

I was wondering how common this is at other schools.
Jeff