Gratuities

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:53:07 -0600

Wim,

At 17:44 3/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:

Pianos and h'chords just magically get tuned and moved, and no one asks
questions.
>Don't you just love this job? :):)

Add organs to that list...

We have a portativ and I got the following from a student organist (via
faculty member) today:

>I practiced on the positif this past weekend, and it needs to be tuned
>(i.e. upper registers of the flutes).  I also noticed a clicking sound on
>either one of the low Fs, Gs, or As.  Perhaps there's a loose screw or
>something?  Just thought I would let you know.  [a choir] leaves for tour
>Thursday, and we're taking it with us, so it would be great if it could be
>well in tune by then. Just thought I'd let you know.  Thanks...

To which I replied:

>I just love the two week notice that everyone seems incapable of giving
>when there is going to be a use of that instrument.
>
>I'll try to move my schedule around to do some tuning on it, wherever it
>happens to be right now, but any touring group which uses it should
>realise that any tuning I do will be largely wiped out by the first bump
>the bus hits and/or threshold it get bounced through.
>
>Conrad

I got a nice apology from the student and I sent the following as part of
my reply to him.

>I have those recital instrument preparation sheets put in all the
>student's info,  but I _really_ ought to remind faculty that
>concerts/tours/etc. don't take any less of my time and scheduling - in
>fact, frequently more.

Can you tell a nerve got hit?
My curmudgeonliness is coming out.

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder