Prepared Piano Guidelines

Allen Wright awright440@cinci.rr.com
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:25:31 -0500

I personally find George Crumb's music often very interesting, and even
beautiful and moving. Ditto John Cage. They've expanded the sonic
possibilities of the instrument. But the important point is that some
of the prepared stuff has definitely become a standard part of the
literature in some circles, and it's not going to go away, whether or
not any of us personally find it appropriate or musical.

It can take a toll on the pianos, though, especially if not supervised
carefully. When I was at Oberlin we had a couple of smaller Steinways
dedicated for prepared pieces for any student performances. It worked
out well for us. There is one faculty player (becoming well-known as a
Crumb interpreter), who we allowed to use on of the main D's on stage,
and it never got harmed. Of course Crumb is mostly about strumming and
touching harmonics and such, so not as drastic as some others.

But why not assign one piano for this sort of thing? A scrificial lamb
of sorts. It does mean some extra moving, of course, depending on how
often this sort of piece happens.

Allen Wright
Northern Kentucky University