Prepared Piano Guidelines

Van Gelder, Cassie J. VanGelderCJ@interlochen.org
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:52:31 -0500

=20

I might be barking up a very tall tree, but I don't see a need to
"prepare" a piano other than having it tuned and voiced. I don't
consider those who ask to have the piano strummed like a guitar, plucked
like a chicken, or otherwise misuse the instrument, should be called
composers.  I more or less agree with Jim, that any tampering should be
off limits. Period.

=20

Just my thoughts on the matter.

=20

Wim=20

=20

=20

----------

Whether or not you consider these people composers, or see a "need" for
prepared piano is not the point.  The music is out there, and has been
out there for quite some time now, and I'm very interested in hearing
what other techs have come up with as far as guidelines on this matter.
I'm dealing with two teachers in this very situation right now and we're
doing our best to work together to come up with an agreeable solution.
It's very true that politics within the institution or between you and
the teacher determine how well or poorly the situation can go.  Doesn't
this also depend on how much time we're personally willing/able to spend
working with the performer/piano to make sure everything goes well?

=20

Sincerely,

Cassie Van Gelder

=20