Prepared Piano Guidelines

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:22:33 -0500

I agree with Cassie. There is a small contingent of champions of alternative
music and I see no problem with trying to accommodate them. We keep a
"sacrificial" Baldwin M available in a rehearsal room which can be wheeled
up on stage when needed for prepared pieces. This seems to be the best
method because the preparations often take a long time and the performer
needs to practice. Once the preparations are made they can leave them in
place until they have finished. The concert pianos are off limits except for
minor plucking and other inside the piano stuff which comes up from time to
time and then only with my knowledge and approval. I find the music
interesting and often intriguing. The piano is an expressive tool for
creative people and if you keep your ears and mind open you'll often be
rewarded with a musical experience. I've privately sent Cassie and John a
copy of our guidelines and am willing to share it with anyone else who is
interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Wolfley
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------
Whether or not you consider these people composers, or see a "need" for
prepared piano is not the point.  The music is out there, and has been out
there for quite some time now, and I'm very interested in hearing what other
techs have come up with as far as guidelines on this matter.  I'm dealing
with two teachers in this very situation right now and we're doing our best
to work together to come up with an agreeable solution.  It's very true that
politics within the institution or between you and the teacher determine how
well or poorly the situation can go.  Doesn't this also depend on how much
time we're personally willing/able to spend working with the performer/piano
to make sure everything goes well?

Sincerely,
Cassie Van Gelder

Resident Piano Technician