room scheduling

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:58:10 -0600

>  I will know about them immediately. Now, if I can just get the faculty
> to plan more than a day in advance....
>
>Wim

Simple. Add the provision in the scheduling software that all piano
reservations must be made XXX hours in advance - for instance, 36 hours.
Then when, not if, someone requests a piano for that open slot tomorrow
morning, it will be denied by the input routine. You can't argue with an
input routine. I've tried. That's the way this sort of thing is done
everywhere. Whether it's a layer of impenetrable and unaccountable
bureaucracy behind a desk, or a software input routine that can't be
appealed to, the user has no recourse for argument, and no one has to be
politically accountable for dealing with it. Those with the power to do so
will bypass the process and go straight to someone with whom they have
political pull to get what they want, but that will happen where ever you
go and in whatever situation you will ever be in. Meanwhile, the input
routine keeps the bulk of the anonymous and powerless irritants on the
other side of the wall.

Ron N