Prepared Piano Guidelines

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 08:29:50 -0700

	I echo these sentiments. I'll just throw in the notion that the piano
technician, whether pro or con "extended use" of the instrument, should
consider posing as an enthusiastic proponent. Ask students to come for
help, and provide it graciously. I provide materials, like screws and mutes
and the like, for Cage pieces. At the same time, I educate the student
about proper ways to install such items so as not to damage damper felts,
what kind of adhesive devices to use to mark strings or dampers (I strongly
recommend "Stickie Notes" and provide them, even cut into nice little
strips or squares), and various other bits of advice (EG, use a piece of
sharpened brass stock in place of a chisel for "chisel on the strings.
Sounds better, easier to control, won't damage anything. I provide one).
	As it is well enough known around the department that I even "play inside
the piano" myself on occasion (Crumb's Voice of the Whale has become almost
a specialty), my recommendations carry some additional weight. For
instance, when I say a Steinway D isn't appropriate for such a piece, they
listen. We do have policies limiting use to a couple instruments.
	For those who doubt the musical value of such uses of the instrument, I
strongly recommend listening to Crumb's Makrokosmos (Christiane Mathe did a
marvelous recording on Koch/Schwann) and Cage's Sonata's and Interludes for
Prepared Piano (Boris Berman did a great complete recording - don't know
what label). These are, of course, the "Classics" of the genre. And they
are classics in the true sense of the word, IMO: they have real lasting
power.
	Bottom line: we are here to serve the needs of the department/school.
Being inflexible and drawing lines in the sand is counter-productive.
Certainly we must be advocates for the pianos, and protect them from
unnecessary damage. But we can best do this by working with, not against.
	End of soapbox spiel ;)
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Wednesday, March 3, 2004 10:22 AM -0500 "Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel)"