Kuerti article, part II (long)

Hans E Sander hesand01@louisville.edu
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:00:32 -0500

And his judgement on the condition of the piano depends very much on the
weather (athritis).
Hans

>>> jtanner@mozart.sc.edu 3/4/2004 8:57:13 AM >>>

On Thursday, March 4, 2004, at 05:56 AM, Jim Harvey wrote:

> Hello friends and colleagues (providing I have any of either after
> this reply),

Jim,
When I posted offlist/onlist to Phil, the points you make are exactly
the sort of concerns I was referring to.  With all due respect to Mr.
Kuerti, many of the methods he describes are understandably outdated
(yes the article is 30 plus years old, and is based on his experience
going back to the 1940s if I read correctly)).  Quite a few of his
regulation standards are based on personal preference, and I disagree
with some of them as a general rule.  Some are simply not practical for

even quite advanced pianists.

Still the spirit of the article is a valuable resource for pianists and

technicians alike.  The bulk of his descriptions are accurate, despite

the few differences in personal preference and changes brought upon by

advances in the past 30 plus years (not to mention changes in design).

I, like you, wonder how much of this article he would revise today.

Jeff