Kuerti article, part II Bushing tool

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:57:55 +0100

Hi, about the bushing tool.

For spruce keyboards and the front rail, I was told the use of it is
acceptable in case of a few mortises too larges, or too compressed by
the pliers.

on any hardwood, the crushing will be going back, while on soft wood,
, a drop of CA may lock the wedged part (while I was said it will keep
that shape without any additional hardening).

I helped myself once or twice with this process without hammering the
tool as a fool indeed. It was on very worn keyboards, and despite the
shimming of the internal part of some mortises before new cloth, in
the end some where yet having too side play.

I've read Klaus Schimmel in the 70's writing that this last resort
process was admissible. (-while he also proposed first Ballistol oil,
then WD40 for center pins, may be that is the source of all our
problems !)

 I does not made further problems at my knowledge, but only to stick
with some "principles" I prefer not to tell about this tool on non
comprehensive people (I simply take a brass bushing cauls that I
angled the sides).

And no indeed this is not the repair of worn mortises !!!

Best to all.

Isaac OLEG