Compilation-Prepared Piano Policy

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:59:19 -0600

List,

Since the subject has come up again, below are some posts I've
saved from previous discussions on this subject. Hope they will
be of use to some of you. I'm a little late because I was
waiting on permission from the various techs but have only
gotten two replies, so I'll post anyway and hope the others
don't mind.

Avery Todd
University of Houston
Houston, TX

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:27:07 -0500 (EST)
From: "Christopher D. Purdy" <purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
Subject: Re: prepared piano

Policy Regarding Prepared Piano Use
March 23, 1999

1.  All structural changes to any piano must be approved by and in
most cases performed by the piano technician. This includes removing
the lid or other case parts and attaching anything to strings or
soundboard to modify the sound.

2. Marking strings.
Small stickers may be used on dampers or agraffes to mark notes.
Please purchase stickers that are easy to remove such as the small
colored dots. Care must always be used when touching dampers as they
are easily bent. Never use masking tape or any other adhesive that
may leave a residue. The performer is responsible for removing any
stickers immediately after any performance. There should be nothing
applied directly to the strings. This includes white-out, tape,
stickers, nail polish, etc. In some cases chalk may be used to mark
steel strings but never the copper wound bass strings.

3. Striking and plucking strings.
Strings may be struck or plucked with fingers or guitar pick. Other
devices must always be a material that will not mar or scratch strings.
On steel strings only materials that are softer than the steel string
may be used, such as brass or aluminum. Copper wound bass strings must
also be struck or plucked with a material softer than the copper.
Acceptable material include wood, plastic, rubber, etc. Never use a
steel chisel on piano strings. As the piano technician, I will be happy
to help any performer select materials that will not damage the piano.

In some cases, literature calls for the insertion of screws or mutes
between piano strings. Again, a material softer than the string must be
used, such as brass or aluminum.

4. Extreme volume.
There is a fine line to be drawn between passionate musical expression
and outright banging on a piano. Please use good judgment when playing
above a forte. Harsh playing is damaging and will not be tolerated.

5. Common sense.
Most damage to our pianos can easily be avoided by using good judgment.
Please consult with the piano technician or piano faculty before using
unconventional techniques. Usually an alternative can be found to satisfy
both the performer and this policy.

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens
OH
-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429

From: Rick Florence <Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu>
Subject: Re: Crumbling pianos?

We've had BAD luck with any sort of solvent (including alcohol) and bass
strings - it will either discolor, cause loose windings, or both.  For node
points, we instruct our students and faculty to use the dry erase markers on
the plain wire and to tie colored yarn on the wound strings.  The markers
clean off easily and the yarn stays put, is easy to locate, doesn't effect
the sound at all, and comes right off.  (Tie on one sting of a unison - I
had to explain to one student why the note sounded funny after she tied two
bi-chord strings together tightly - DUH!)

For marking dampers, we have found that the post-it flags work the best and
leave the least residue.

BTW we have three pianos on which we allow preparations.  Everything else is
off limits.  Our faculty is very supportive.

Rick

From: "Fred S. Sturm" <fssturm@unm.edu>

One thing you should tell the music director is that Crumb wrote at the piano
in his office, which was a Steinway L, I believe. Hence, his inside the piano
moves are designed with that geometry in mind - where the struts are, for
example. Much of what he wrote doesn't work well on a 9 foot concert grand.
Trying to reach the correct nodes on strings can be impossible on such a long
instrument as well. So a model L (or maybe M) Steinway, Yamaha C-2, or
similar, might work better for them.
     I have used Post-its for marking nodes - just a very small strip from the
stick part, fished through and around the string. Doesn't seem to have much
effect on the sound of the string, and leaves no perceptible residue.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

From: "Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL)" <WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU>

We have been using "dry erase" markers here - the kind they use on the
"white boards" in the classroom. The marks they leave don't rub off when
touched but will come right off with solvent (I use "goof off" brand spot
remover). Chalk rubs off immediately and the constant re-application tends
to leave piles of chalk "crumbs" on the soundboard. Tape will dampen the
string and leave bad residue which will have to be removed with solvent
anyway. I don't know about crayon....might be hard to get off. Any marks
made on bass strings must be carefully kept from getting into the cracks
between windings....just gently mark the outer edge of the windings. Give
the pianist a soft cotton cloth to (carefully) wipe off the strings where
(s)he touches them immediately after the performance. Take the time to
remove the marks yourself - that way you know it will get done well!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Wolfley
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati

Use the waverley dots.   Come in different sizes and colors.  They leave no
residue and don't cause buzzing on the strings. Easy to pull off agraffes
and dampers.   We marked and dedicated one piano with white pin stripes on
the dampers of the sharp keys.   Using different colors for two sharp group
and the three sharp group.  It's hard to distinguish if there isn't this
easy marking.
     The dots are great for marking nodes.  They also work in bass strings.
DEFINITELY no chalk, white out, crayon, masking tape, dry markers,
because no matter how lightly you put these on the strings, performers
always need more and heavier marking .
     Anecdote:  In my early days I painted the dampers white and left the
sharps black.  Took hours to make it easy to see.  Performer came in and
immediately wrote C D E  etc.  on the white dampers.  Oh, well.
     Do you have  the William Bunger book.  There was a class in Arlington
about interior performance.  Right now I don't remember the instructor, but
she had a great hand-out.  If you need more info I'll do some searching.
     Keep in tune.
Joel

From: Robert Moffatt <moffatt5@telus.net>

Putting anything on the strings is not a wise thing to do....particularly,
the bass strings.
On the prepared pianos I have attended to, placing the little round
coloured self adhesive
markers on the appropriate damper - agraffe - capo bar works just fine. If
you have to use
a solvent to remove any residue ( I haven't yet ), the only worry is
accidentally getting it
on the odd string....let alone actually applying it (?) to a bass string.

Sincerely,

Bob

Moffatt & Sons Piano Atelier
Calgary, Alberta - Canada