Treble ringing problem

Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:10:46 +0100

Jeff Stickney wrote:

> All,
>         I have a customer with a Yamaha C2 with an interesting
> problem.  Most of the notes in the mid to upper range have a high
> harmonic after-ring.  Since the duplex is open from the mid-range up,
> I put some tape on it to see if that was the culprit.  It had little
> effect.  Finally, I taped off the speaking length of the notes above
> where the dampers end.  The after-ring was totally gone.  Obviously, I
> can't put stringing braid in the speaking length of the top octave and
> a half - any suggestions?  I'm sure all pianos have some amount of
> this, but it seems particularly distracting on this piano.  The piano
> doesn't seem overly bright - but would voicing it down a little be the
> only way to reduce the excitement of those upper open strings?  Thanks
> for any help on this.
>
> Jeff Stickney, RPT
> University of Montana
> jpstickney@montanadsl.net

The most obvious solution is to install dampers a few higher notes up.
This, however is not easily accomplished as it involves extending both
the guide rail, the tray, and a couple other goodies.

Most pianos have this "feature" designed in to some or another degree,
and unless it is bothering the owner, or in your case perhaps to many of
the instructors/ professors... (not likely considering its a small
grand) then I think you are best off to leave it be.

Cheers
RicB