Treble ringing problem

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee@humboldt1.com
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:11:32 -0800

on 3/12/04 7:09 AM, Jeff Stickney at jpstickney@montanadsl.net wrote:

All,
       I have a customer with a Yamaha C2 with an interesting problem.  Most
of the notes in the mid to upper range have a high harmonic after-ring.
Since the duplex is open from the mid-range up, I put some tape on it to see
if that was the culprit.  It had little effect.  Finally, I taped off the
speaking length of the notes above where the dampers end.  The after-ring
was totally gone.  Obviously, I can't put stringing braid in the speaking
length of the top octave and a half - any suggestions?  I'm sure all pianos
have some amount of this, but it seems particularly distracting on this
piano.  The piano doesn't seem overly bright - but would voicing it down a
little be the only way to reduce the excitement of those upper open strings?
Thanks for any help on this.

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpstickney@montanadsl.net

Jeff,

Aliquots usually cause this and may be taped. However your experiment
indicates to me that a different stretch may change things.

Dan Gurnee, Retired U. tech.