Treble ringing problem

madelyn mrykalo madvinmryk@yahoo.com
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:40:22 -0800 (PST)

Jeff,
You didn't mention trying to mute out the front duplex.  Even tho you found the sympathetic ringing to be in the the undampened treble, you might find the effect reduced a bit by muting off the front duplex...

Jeff Stickney <jpstickney@montanadsl.net> wrote:

All,
        I have a customer with a Yamaha C2 with an interesting problem.  Most of the notes in the mid to upper range have a high harmonic after-ring.  Since the duplex is open from the mid-range up, I put some tape on it to see if that was the culprit.  It had little effect.  Finally, I taped off the speaking length of the notes above where the dampers end.  The after-ring was totally gone.  Obviously, I can't put stringing braid in the speaking length of the top octave and a half - any suggestions?  I'm sure all pianos have some amount of this, but it seems particularly distracting on this piano.  The piano doesn't seem overly bright - but would voicing it down a little be the only way to reduce the excitement of those upper open strings?  Thanks for any help on this.

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpstickney@montanadsl.net

Vince Mrykalo