Treble ringing problem

Jeff Stickney jpstickney@montanadsl.net
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 08:21:22 -0700

Vince,
    I think I'll start with stringing braid in the duplex in the mid and
upper range (not the top section).  Then I can use the tape to see if it
helps to dampen the upper duplex and/or the front duplex.  Thanks for
that idea.
    Regarding the idea Dan Gurnee suggested of a different stretch -
isn't a wider stretch relative to what's gone before it, and therefore
that upper octave+ would still be excited by the partials of the lower
notes?  Or maybe my brain isn't big enough to grasp the concept....

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpstickney@montanadsl.net

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
madelyn mrykalo
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 10:40 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: Treble ringing problem

Jeff,
You didn't mention trying to mute out the front duplex.  Even tho you
found the sympathetic ringing to be in the the undampened treble, you
might find the effect reduced a bit by muting off the front duplex...

Jeff Stickney <jpstickney@montanadsl.net> wrote:

All,
        I have a customer with a Yamaha C2 with an interesting problem.
Most of the notes in the mid to upper range have a high harmonic
after-ring.  Since the duplex is open from the mid-range up, I put some
tape on it to see if that was the culprit.  It had little effect.
Finally, I taped off the speaking length of the notes above where the
dampers end.  The after-ring was totally gone.  Obviously, I can't put
stringing braid in the speaking length of the top octave and a half -
any suggestions?  I'm sure all pianos have some amount of this, but it
seems particularly distracting on this piano.  The piano doesn't seem
overly bright - but would voicing it down a little be the only way to
reduce the excitement of those upper open strings?  Thanks for any help
on this.

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpstickney@montanadsl.net

Vince Mrykalo
University of Utah

Do you Yahoo!?
 <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mailtag_us/*http://mail.yahoo.com> Yahoo! Mail
- More reliable, more storage, less spam