Treble ringing problem

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:39:19 -0800

Treble ringing problemThis may sound a bit bizarre  for a solution, but I had a customer with a similar piano, similar problem.  She was an older lady who's hearing was really irritated by the overtones from a section of mid-high treble notes.  I could hear it, but it was not as annoying to me as to her.  I made a number of attempts to fix the problem, but all were unsatisfactory.  I finally asked if she had some fairly light yarn, which I then loosely threaded through speaking length of the strings right next to the front bridge pins.  Noise gone -- without significant altering of the character of the sound.

The yarn has to be threaded in a loop & tied or it will vibrate out.  Since it is tied loosely, it will tend to vibrate out into the speaking length and will need to be pushed back periodically.  However, if it is pulled too tight, it will choke the sound.

As I say, it sounds bizarre, but that yarn has been in the piano for several years now, & provided the best ( & simplest) solution to the problem.

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeff Stickney
  To: Caut (caut)
  Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 7:09 AM
  Subject: Treble ringing problem

  All,
          I have a customer with a Yamaha C2 with an interesting problem.  Most of the notes in the mid to upper range have a high harmonic after-ring.  Since the duplex is open from the mid-range up, I put some tape on it to see if that was the culprit.  It had little effect.  Finally, I taped off the speaking length of the notes above where the dampers end.  The after-ring was totally gone.  Obviously, I can't put stringing braid in the speaking length of the top octave and a half - any suggestions?  I'm sure all pianos have some amount of this, but it seems particularly distracting on this piano.  The piano doesn't seem overly bright - but would voicing it down a little be the only way to reduce the excitement of those upper open strings?  Thanks for any help on this.

  Jeff Stickney, RPT
  University of Montana
  jpstickney@montanadsl.net