Public Domain

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:34:19 -0700

	For may part, I am, without reservation, in favor of free and open public
access to the list. I think we do a reasonably good job of
"self-moderating." (BTW, it is always best that posts chiding someone for
being off-topic or the like be sent privately to that person, in the
interest of avoiding the dreaded flame war mentality).
	My point in writing "discretion is advised" (in the post that set off this
thread) was to note that there are some things we should not air publicly,
for a number of reasons. Procurement is a very touchy area, and one where
there is a danger of causing harm to one's own institution or to a
manufacturer. When I asked for advice on how to approach procurement, I
received a number of posts off-list for that very reason - the colleagues
who sent them did not want to "air the dirty linen of their institution" in
public (nothing illegal involved, just descriptions of contentious
processes, which had resulted in hard feelings). Wim's comment that he had
evaluation sheets ready for purchasing if required is the sort of thing
that can come back and haunt one.
	I don't think we need to feel paranoid, but we do need to be discrete.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico