(no subject)

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:20:32 -0600

Joe,

At 12:46 3/16/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>finally, i am wondering - why is there such a stuck-up attitude around here?

Not everybody is stuck up.  I would like to be but, as a tech at a small
college very near to the epicenter of nowhere, I know just how high that
would fly... ;-}

>in my postition as a university tech, i get far more out of a discussion
>over practical matters than over theories of how to measure minute aspects
>of action physics.  i find such discussions interesting, but is this list
>only for those who can contribute as such?

No, ask away.  Some people might have lost sight of the fact that the only
distinguishing characteristic of listees is that they are somehow
affiliated with or afflicted by colleges and/or universities.

I'm sure that there is an underlying HOPE that CAUT members are better
technicians than average. The truth is that there is _almost_ as wide a
range of ability and experience among Cauterised technicians as in the
general population of pianotechers. The original aim of the list was to
have a forum to discuss problems which are unique to colleges and
universities and which would (and did) absolutely bore the rest of the folks.

>joe kemple (and no, i'm not a RPT (wanna make somethin' of it?))

Nope.  I might wonder how close you've come to the guild and it's
educational opportunities.  I know that being an RPT doesn't necessarily
mean that you are a great technician any more than not being one means that
you are not.  It does mean that you didn't just get a fork, hammer and
wedges on eBay and immediately call yourself a tuner. RPT is a benchmark
for competence, by the time you get it, you realise how much you _don't_ know.