Steinway damper ringing problem

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:02:12 EST

Ron writes:

<< BTW, since this came up, there's something I've wondered for a long time.
How do techs who can't touch strings without corroding them change or
splice broken strings in field repairs? Do any of you folks carry gloves? >>

    Usually, the broken string is already covered in a patina of iron oxide,
and a little contact with the hand of Foote doesn't make any difference.  I
wear gloves when I tune, though.  It allows me to touch the strings without fear
of corroding them.
    I do keep a small jar of soapstone in the stringing case for those times
when I am changing a string or replacing one.  A light dusting on the fingers
keeps the oils and acids busy until the string is in.  When installing
strings, I not only wash my hands first, but also wrap thin masking tape around the
fingers and keep a coating of talc on them while I work.  Seems effective,
judging by the lack of prints on the stringing jobs I have done and continue to
tune.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT