Steinway damper ringing problem

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:13:06 -0800

Allan,

I think I have seen these sticks in a PTJ article that Bill Spurlock wrote
some years ago about damper diagnostics.

Alan McCoy

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Allan
Gilreath
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 5:05 AM
To: 'College and University Technicians'
Subject: RE: Steinway damper ringing problem

I'm sure the honorable gentleman has very dry palms. <grin> This is the area
I like using the "trouble shooting stick" mentioned in an earlier post so
that I don't have to touch the strings any more than necessary.
Not picking on you Ron, they just oxidize quickly enough in our area (and
Wim's) as it is. Besides, I can reach a wider area with my stick or turn it
so that only one string is damped. Sounds like I need to take some pictures.

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Allan Gilreath & Associates, Inc.
515 Oothcalooga St., Suite I
Calhoun, GA 30701