Steinway damper ringing problem

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:53:52 -0600

1.) Take about 14" of 3/4" x 3/4" peice of aluminum square tube and glue
thick under-string felt to one side.

2.) In addition to the damper diagnostics (I learned this from Mr. Bill
also), you now have a 1/2-blow, vertical damper-lift guage (3/4" / 5/8");

insert it between hammers and strings, wedge your voicing block between the
rest-rail and some hammers to secure it, and adjust spoons so dampers barely
wink as the the hammer strikes the guage. Fast and precise!

3.) Wedge the stick between the spring-rail and hammershanks to hold hammers
down while gang-filing (do CAUT's still admit to working on uprights? :>)

4.) Somewhere around 14" (can't recall offhand) is an ideal length for a
mini-straightedge for touch-up key leveling.

5.) Insert a chair glide (made for square tubular chair legs) into one end
to protect your hand, and you can bump keys into square via the key-pin.
Aluminum will not nick the pin.

There's five legitimate uses for a light-weight, simple-to-make tool, and at
one time I thought I'd discovered at least "10," but memory fails me at the
moment.

Anyhow, "make this tool," keep it in your back-up kit and you'll not regret
it. IMHO

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

6.) Someone's kid insists on pounding fistfuls of treble keys while your
trying to finish your tuning...,  ;>)

Allan,

I think I have seen these sticks in a PTJ article that Bill Spurlock wrote
some years ago about damper diagnostics.

Alan McCoy