Steinway Damper Ringing

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:44:13 -0600

I had a customer with a new B that had harmonics bothering him. After trying everything I decided it could be "room acoustic" and left it at that.

Not long after that I was tuning our Hamburg D in it's small concrete block storage room and noticed similar ringing harmonics and couldn't seem to find the cause there either. Later that day, when the piano was on stage, I did a touch up tuning and the harmonics were GONE! My explanation: ROOM ACOUSTICS.

John Minor
University of Illinois