Kawai heavy action

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:22:41 EST

In a message dated 3/18/2004 6:14:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
fssturm@unm.edu writes:
    So I wonder if any of you have experience in addressing weight issues in
small Kawai's of this vintage, and would be willing to share. Specifically,
I'm wondering if a combination of wipp spring adjustment, adding a bit of
lead to keys, and tapering hammers is likely to produce acceptable results.
And whether just springs, just lead, or springs and lead would be enough.
Thanks,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
  Hi Fred
   You're on the right track here. I like the tone quality  many of the older
model Howards/ Kawai 550's.  5ft. 10 inch I think.
   The hammer weights are usually high & the keys  have no or not much lead.
If replacing hammers or not, a combination of reducing spring tension on the
wippen to carry a max. of about 12 grams of the wippen weight & then adding
some lead is very effective. The one repaired was changed to a slightly lighter
hammer & followed the above protocol & the action was smooth & easy to play
with a very fluid feel. I really like it personally. It plays like the wind.
   Regards
   Dale Erwin
  Modesto Junior Cllege

Erwins Pianos Restorations