Final thought on CTE status was Re: (no subject)

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:20:11 EST

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post. It probably should be put on
the PTG-L list, but since there are quite a few CTE's on this list, please
allow me to say the following, and then lets let this topic die.

First of all, I will change my bio to more closely reflect the Bylaws. But in
defense of what I did, let me say a couple of things. First of all, I don't
remember where I asked, but I do remember asking. It was either this list or
the ETS list. But in either case, I didn't get a "no" from any one. The bio is
on a web site for the university's music school. It is not an on going ad in
the paper or magazine. Yes, if you did a search you might be able to find it,
and if someone really wanted to seek me out, and click on my bio, then I guess I
am in violation of the Bylaws.

But by the same token, anyone could click on the MARC website, and look at
the bio's of the instructors. There they will find several of them mentioning
they give exams, serve as chapter officers, and are CTE's, including Michael
Travis, who, together with Kent, wrote the Bylaw. If the reasoning behind not
being able to mention you're a CTE, (or an officer), in a bio, is because it is
against the Bylaws, then this needs to be applied to ALL bio's, regardless of
where they are written. In other words, if we are to take this rule to nth
degree, CTE's should not be allowed to say they are CTE's even within our
organization, because it could considered "promoting" themselves. To go one step
further, our directory is avaiable by subscription to the public. On page 7 there
is a list of CTE's. Is this considered "advertising?"

I will change the bio, but as Tom said, perhaps we need to rethink the
Bylaws. I am not suggesting we should be able to openly advertise CTE status, but I
don't see anything wrong with saying we are one on a resume or in a bio.

Wim