Kawai heavy action

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:15:02 -0500

Fred,

Quote what you think it will take to do the job correctly without being
influenced by what you think the customer may be willing to pay. $500 is a
lot of money for anyone to spend and not be happy with the results. If the
balance weights are really as high as you suspect, your strategy of adding
lead and/or reducing hammerweight will certainly help. This isn't one of
those Kawais with wippen helper springs, is it? I've seen a couple of those
pianos that had way too much reliance on spring tension with virtually no
lead. Once the springs get out of adjustment (or are cut out or disconnected
by some "expert" technician who doesn't like helper springs) , these actions
become real bears. A nice leading pattern and appropriate spring adjustment
on one of these actions can make an extreme change without an inordinate
amount of work.

Spending big bucks on the action could still be cheaper than trading in on a
new instrument and would guarantee an action that won't destroy the
customer's body, though of course you can't guarantee they'll like it!
There's no guarantee that a new piano wouldn't have it own set of action
problems either.

Eric Wolfley
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati