Kawai heavy action

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:46:10 EST

In a message dated 3/18/04 8:14:41 AM Central Standard Time, fssturm@unm.edu
writes:
This particular customer has developed "wrist problems" (incipient carpel
tunnel?), and is wondering whether to trade pianos or have this one worked
on. So I need to be able to speak with authority and say
a) I can take care of this problem. It will cost $X. Or,
b) You are better advised to trade in and get a different piano.
    My sense is that $X needs to be in the "up to $500" range. IOW, action
geometry changes are probably out of the picture.
Fred.

Although I do not have experience with Kawai's particularly, the problem with
the customer spending any kind of money is that there is no guarantee he'll
like the results. It's not that you can't do the job, but even if you got the
weight down, he still might not like what he feels. So you're either stuck
doing more work, without pay, or asking him to spend more money, with still no
guarantee he'll like the result.

That is why it might be best if you could recommend he consider buying
another piano.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Wim