Easing Grand Damper rail bushings

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:15:00 -0800

Elwood,

First make sure that the bushing is indeed too tight by wiggling the damper
and looking to see how much space there is around the damper wire in the
guide bushing. More often than not the problem is not a tight bushing but
too much lateral bearing of the damper wire on the bushing. You can often
hear the scraping sound on the offending notes when compared to
non-offending notes. The fix for this is a _very_ tiny bend in the damper
wire. Also be sure the underlever and top lever pinning is good.

Alan

Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
509-359-4627
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Christopher D. Purdy
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 9:43 AM
To: edoss@utm.edu; College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: Easing Grand Damper rail bushings

Elwood,

I have the damper tool you mentioned.  I use it occasionally, especially if
I'm in a hurry.  You have to be careful not to push the felt bushing out of
the guide rail.

My preferred method is to take out the damper and use a round, tapered file
that I carry.  I view the easing tool as more of a quick fix, temporary
thing.

chris

--
Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.