tuning stability

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:03:18 +0000

Hi Jeff,

I've got one just like yours.  It can really make you wonder, can't it?!  My
guess is that there is a very slight amount of "grab" to the strings. (mini-
rust?)  As the strings pass over the felt, there is too much friction to get
the tuning to settle properly.  I now use protek with just about every
tuning on the felt.  Like yours, I'm just there as a contract tech to tune,
so any extras are "on me".  Focus on the things that you can do quickly, to
make your life easier...

You mentioned false beats, if you've got a steady hand, and are willing to
try, some good superglue carefully wicked in the bridge pins of the
offending section should help a lot.  Again, if they won't pay for anything
big, do the 'quick and easy' things that will help you do your job.

As to the tuning, go to your "bag of tricks" and see what works.  Sometimes
very firm blows help, but sometimes they make it worse.  On some sections I
have to approach the pitch from below, any releasing the pitch from above
leaves the tuning unstable.  I tried an impact lever, but that didn't help
either.  As luck would have it, I'll be wrestling this beast later
today.....

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

<snip>
Our main performance piano is a 1974 Steinway D, which to my knowledge has
never been restrung.  It has gotten increasingly hard to tune over the last
few years - a lot of false beats and very hard to get clean unisons, much
less get them stable.
<snip>

Get reliable access on MSN 9 Dial-up. 3 months for the price of 1!
(Limited-time offer)