Tuning stability

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:46:25 -0700

Jeff,
	The tuning instability you describe can certainly be ascribed to a need
for restringing. Full restring isn't usually necessary. Usually the biggest
problems are in the capo section, caused by a combination of string and
capo condition. So a restring of those sections, with a good dressing and
lube of the capo and aliquots (front bars by tuning pins), will make an
enormous positive difference. At the same time, I would pull all bridge
pins from those sections (except the few that won't get past plate struts),
resurface that section of bridge (get it flat, grooves gone), renotch, and
repin using something to size the bridgepin holes (I haven't decided if
there is a difference between epoxy and medium to thick CA for the
purpose). That will take care of the false beats.
	This is a very good alternative to a complete restring, and produces quite
good results in my experience. I have also restrung down into the tenor, to
the point where the bass strings cross over. In that case, I brush powdered
teflon on the understring felt (which I can't replace in this partial job),
and don't bother with bridge work more than a few unisons below the break.
	I have had experiences very similar to what you are describing. Protek on
bearing points helps a bit, but only restringing gets the piano back to a
truly tunable state.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Thursday, March 25, 2004 9:46 AM -0700 Jeff Stickney