Tuning stability

Jeff Stickney jpstickney@montanadsl.net
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:46:31 -0700

All,
	Our main performance piano is a 1974 Steinway D, which to my
knowledge has never been restrung.  It has gotten increasingly hard to
tune over the last few years - a lot of false beats and very hard to get
clean unisons, much less get them stable.  I have been able to get it
there in the past, but recently the unisons just don't seem to hold.  Is
this a symptom of "worn out" strings?  Am I losing my touch?  The piano
was not used very much until the #1 piano got worn out - but since this
one became the #1 piano about 5 years ago it has gotten extensive use.
I would appreciate knowing why the aging/extensive use of the strings
would cause instability - if in fact it does - so I can back up that
claim and it doesn't sound like an excuse.  I suspect loose bridge pins
are part of the equation as well.
	The action is, of course, on the same slippery slope.  I'm
starting to feel like Chicken Little around the department - the
contract currently covers tuning and not much more, so it's no surprise.
I'm pushing for a half time position - for better or worse - but in the
meantime money for maintenance is minimal.  Short of restringing, is
there anything I can do to help this situation?  Thanks for your input.

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpstickney@montanadsl.net