action centers/Emralon

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:25:21 -0700

Lance,
	Give a call or email to Steinway tech support. I'm sure they'll be happy
to fill you in. Kent Webb is the head (I think kwebb@steinway.com) with one
or maybe two assissants.
	I don't believe any other manufacturer uses such a bushing treatment. My
impression from asking lots of questions of a variety of Steinway reps is
that they actually use a proprietary formulation that is "similar to
emralon."
	Bottom line, any Steinway action parts (made by New York Steinway, not to
be confused with those made by Renner, which did appear in NY Steinways for
a short period of years as they were re-tooling th action department) will
not respond to standard lubrication (Protek or the like) or shrinking
procedures. A tiny - emphasize tiny - drop of pure methanol can be used to
partly dissolve and re-size the emralon-like stuff saturating the felt. Too
much, and you wash it out and need to do massive re-pinning.
	Hope this helps.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Wednesday, March 24, 2004 8:11 AM -0600 llafargue