Tech Training Help

Keith Kopp keith_kopp@byu.edu
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:00:10 -0700

Avery,
Here at Brigham Young University we both now have an informal program
with no credit given and also now have a history of a formal credit
program that has been dropped. I will address some administrative things
to look out for and let Jim address the training challenges. This could
actually be a very in depth study. There most likely should be a chapter
in a CAUT handbook on this subject. The main problem we find now and the
main reason the formal program was done away with is the competition you
are training for other technicians in the area. In the past as well as
now we have had students leave the program before they are fully
trained. They then go to work in the private sector and start making
four times as much as then would make in a work study program. We train
them and before they are an asset to our program we are left high and
dry. The private sector then has half trained tuners who say they have
been university trained. We are committing new students HARD to
basically a four year program. This is basically how we see a successful
program work. First year they are trained at no charge and they receive
no reimbursement. You mentioned that you would have four hours help. Our
experience is you will not receive help. You will train them for four
hours. They will not be a real help for the first year. I think Jim will
say it cost you four hours. Second year they are hired at somewhere
between 10 and 15 hours week. It is only then that you be able to get
some help from them without being right there with them at every step.
They receive more training. In return they are paid a little more than
minimum wages. We are current working our detail to have a third year at
higher wages and a fourth year when they would finally get a healthy
wage and finally be worth the time we will have invested in them. We
like to start freshmen. We are also looking into ways to keep them from
leaving before completion. We feel a need to design a program so that
they will be RPTs by the fourth year. There is a waiting list of
students who desire to enter this type of program. We have been
approached by at least eight students in the past two years. I would
like to write in more detail but do not have time now. This might be an
interest discussion at annual convention at a CAUT get together. Keith