TA Assistant

dan tassin dltassinpiano@juno.com
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:32:08 -0600

        Avery

Start him by teaching him the PACE program:  1st with the repair section;
  when that's done, then teach him about the actions and keys in
regulations.  NEXT: Show him diagrams, pictures, etc., to get him
starting on learning how to tare down and rebuild an action back on the
frame and reinstalled in the piano.   Start with simple things that takes
up your time when trying to meet tuning schedules.

Work him like training an "outside" individual wanting to learn piano
technology.   For, him, though, I'd not worry about any "tuning" lessons
until he become very proficient with repairs, some minor regulations, and
then teach him tuning UNISONS , tuning unisons, until he's "blue" in the
face.    That's how Danny Boone and James Geiger got me started in the
"learning" process over 20 years ago.   It  WORKS !!   ( Jim Coleman will
tell you the same thing.)

Dan Tassin, RPT
Jackson State College;
Blair School Asst. Piano Tech.