Steinway stock bored hammer sets

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 06:20:24 -0800

Kent:

The hammer moulding has been lengthened overall in order to insure 1" tail
length on a standard bore.   I haven't ordered a set of bored hammers in
years, however.  Sting height to center pin relationships vary somewhat in
Steinways so I think it's wise to bore your own.  Secondarily, I find the
tapering often inadequate to achieve desired hammer weight goals.  Using a
table saw, the Spurlock jig and a gram scale, I can easily achieve a smooth
weight curve on the hammers in the range that is needed for that particular
action ratio.  This is also important through the transition from tenor to
bass where the hammer weight often jumps considerably from the last hammer
in the tenor to the first hammer in the bass.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net