Tuning stability

Doug Wood dew2@u.washington.edu
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:01:13 -0800

I agree with Fred, here. My somewhat limited experience with restringing
concert instruments is that they will be difficult, to put it mildly, for a
while. Not only will the pitch be dropping, but the tuning pins feel like a
brand-new piano (worse: they're less consistent). Tight, and ornery. It is
possible, I think to restring the treble sections (maybe even the whole
piano) and put it on stage the next week, but it will require a lot of
work!!! Better to allow yourself a month or two for it to settle down at
least some.

What I find curious is that this business of the tuning pins being ornery is
almost as bad if I restring with the same pins. (I usually do this unless
I'm restringing the whole piano, or there is some problem with the
pinblock.) It seems that disturbing the pinblock by only 3/4-1 turn is
enough to unsettle them for 4-6 months. !

Doug Wood