Tuning stability

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:35:43 +0200

Hey there Doug !  Nice to see your name up.

Perhaps I should clarify my last in the light of  both Fred and your own
cautions.  I said its doable, and I stand by that. But that means you
have to afford due attention to the job to get it stable. A week in
itself affords plenty enough time to do the deed, but you definantly
will be using a good deal of that week getting things stable enough for
a show. And you are going to want to pay it some extra attention in the
following week or two as well.

As for how the tuning pins will feel.  I've done perhaps 200
restringing jobs over the years... some using the old pins, some using
new. I think its kind of hard to predict how they will end up feeling.
An old block is a fickle thing. But you can guard yourself a bit if you
are planing on using the old pins. Turn them slowly, and not more then
just enough to get the becket out. Pre-coil your new strings with the
appropriate tool off your choice and they will feel pretty darn much the
same as they did to begin with.  Course... if they didnt feel good to
begin with...then perhaps one might want to try something else :)

Cheers
RicB