Practical Concert Work

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 30 May 2004 19:08:26 -0500

>  My complaint is that the final caul doesn't press the felt quite enough
> to hold it firmly for cutting, when the felt thickness is correct. I
> think a couple thousandths thicker would hold enough tighter to make the
> job easier, and wouldn't press the felt so much that it would be sloppy.
> Just a random thought while being frustrated having to hold each caul
> while slicing. Or, when having chosen a slightly thicker felt so I don't
> have to hold he caul, finding I need to ease by squeezing wood. I could
> well be wrong in thinking that a slightly thicker caul wouldn't create
> the slop I want to avoid.

Fred,
Try it and find out. Shim a couple of cauls out to the desired thickness
with tape, install the bushings, and see what you get. If you like the
results well enough, a custom made set ought to be worth the price and you
can start marketing the Sturm Caul. If not, you learned something valuable
cheaply and easily.

Ron N