[CAUT] Re: Steinway Damper sytem upgrade & redesign

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:57:57 -0800

I've put it in the "old bag of tricks"
David I.

From: Fred Sturm <fssturm@unm.edu>
To: "ilvey@sbcglobal.net, College and University Technicians"=
 <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Re: Steinway Damper sytem upgrade & redesign

On 11/8/04 2:56 PM, "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net>=
 wrote:

Yeah, but I can permanently fix the problem and certainly get=
 more friction relief than your method AND I can charge $150 for=
 the work...;-]

The job usually takes less than an hour for me.   I charge $100=
 if I'm there tuning the piano.

Hi David,
    No question there isn=92t all that much difference in time. But=
 I can fit it into =93the next tuning appointment=94 without allowing=
 even an extra half hour, so I find it a bit more convenient from=
 a scheduling point of view. And I charge a little less than $100=
 ($75). Depends on the customer. Like I said, it was that very=
 strong negative reaction to my description of the =93preferred=
 method=94 from a particular customer that got me to think of an=
 alternative. So there it is in the old bag of tricks, for the=
 low budget places (read =93institutions=94 in particular, not=
 actually including the one where I am employed, now that I am=
 employed and not contract, but often churches and such), and=
 instances where in home major drilling is an issue.
    BTW, drilling the hole for the pitman pin: Use a long bit (6=94=
 will do). First drop the trap lever and drill all the way=
 through it from the top, positioning the hole a bit to the back=
 of the dimple produced by the original pitman, taking care to=
 drill perpendicularly. Then put the lever back into position,=
 and insert the drill bit through that hole from the bottom,=
 using that hole as a guide to drill into the bottom of the lift=
 tray (This makes sure you get the holes nicely lined up with one=
 another to avoid any binding problems). Observe the angle and=
 placement of the drill bit in relation to the hole through the=
 keybed to ensure you are centered (fudged a bit to the back). Of=
 course, I would also generally pull the action, and use the=
 dimple in the tray leather as additional positioning=
 information.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
http://music.unm.edu/about/staff_members/fred_s_sturm.php
A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.