[CAUT] lifting strings

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:47:30 -0600

On 9/30/04 9:02 PM, "Jon Page" <jonpage@comcast.net> wrote:

> I  made a string lifting tool to remove the natural curve at the v-bar:
> A spinet caster mounted on the end of a pin block scrap. It is levered
> on the key bed against a suitable block of the closest wood at hand.
> I lift the duplex side first, then the speaking length. For bass strings,
> I place a scrap of wood between the unison and the wheel; a segment
> of the Renner slats which come with their hammer sets is perfect.
>
> To remove the curve at the bridge pins I made "The Terminator" out of a
> screw driver (jpg attached).
>
> I also tap the wire at the rear and front duplex. Both sides.
> The loop at the hitch pin is coaxed with parallel pliers.
>
> Jon Page

Hi Jon,
    Nice idea for the "Terminator." It would be even nicer if there was a
T-handle or a 90 degree bend in the tool to make it easier to control the
bend (and easier on the wrist). How did you machine it? File(s)? Dremel
grinder?
    BTW, the lifting tool you describe is very similar to the "Strate Mate"
now offered by Pianotek, for those with more bucks available than spare time
and inclination to fool around making your own tools.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico