[CAUT] more problems with the D

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:44:36 EDT

Two problems with the D. (Yes the same one)

First, I misinterpreted the faculty's comments. It wasn't "brassy" as such,
as much as it lacked focus. I perceived this to mean to bright. So I voiced it
 down. But now he says it has lost it's power. He says the hammers will never
 come back. Is he right, or is there a way to get the power back on  without
them becoming too brassy?

The other problem, which I also misunderstood, is a noisy action. He said
something about it when he complained about uneven voicing with the soft pedal
on, but I missed his comments. I compared the action noise with that of the
other D, and there does seem to be a little more action noise. I've narrowed it
 down to when the hammer returns, kind a of a mild knocking sound. I tried
voicing up the wippen cushion, but that didn't do anything. Could it be that
the  back under key felt is too hard? Would that solve the noisy action?
(remember,  this piano is less than 2 years old.

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano tuner/technician
School of Music