[CAUT] more problems with the D

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:47:46 -0700

Lack of focus may mean that there is a lot of leakage through the
agraffes and/or capo bar.  This is not unusual on Steinways.  I recently
had a D redone for me by Del Fandrich that had very similar problems.
Modifications of the counterbearing area both in the capo and agraffe
sections and new bridge surface/cap really helped to focus the sound by
eliminating a lot of the noise.   A modified soundboard design with
cutoff bar also helped to eliminate the distortion that is sometimes
present in the middle section and increase the sustain through the upper
end of the piano.   The piano has incredible focus, and depth and can be
made quite "bright", if you want it, without getting buzzy.   If your
piano has poor terminations then focus will be a problem and it will be
exacerbated by harder or brighter sound.  While the real fix may be more
involved than you are able to go without some major surgery, you might
be able to at least temporarily address the problems by seating at the
bridge, and capo-though my experience is that it will not last.   A
slightly softer hammer will help to reduce the noise but, as you have
seen, at the price of perceived power.  You can bring the brightness
back with a couple small drops of acetone keytop solution (I use 1
keytop to 12-16 oz of acetone, many people use a stronger solution of
8oz but I prefer a weaker one)/  The focus, but the focus problem is a
bigger one.

If the terminations are good, then lack of focus can mean that the
hammers just aren't hard enough or shaped properly or fitted properly to
the strings.  I would, of course, check those along with string seating
first.

For design issues that address these problems check Del Fandrich or Ron
Nossaman's posts on the subject.    In my opinion, that's the state of
the art.