[CAUT] more problems with the D

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:47:48 -0400

Wim-

Check for noise from the jack regulating cushion hitting the spoon.  Pianotek sells soft cushions already on the button.

Proceed slowly and build rapport with the faculty.

Change one or two notes and ask "Do you like the direction I'm going with this?"

Don't make absolute or final statements. Say "Let me think about what you've said and see what I can do."

Ed Sutton

To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: 10/7/2004 5:44:36 PM
Subject: [CAUT] more problems with the D

Two problems with the D. (Yes the same one)

First, I misinterpreted the faculty's comments. It wasn't "brassy" as such, as much as it lacked focus. I perceived this to mean to bright. So I voiced it down. But now he says it has lost it's power. He says the hammers will never come back. Is he right, or is there a way to get the power back on without them becoming too brassy?

The other problem, which I also misunderstood, is a noisy action. He said something about it when he complained about uneven voicing with the soft pedal on, but I missed his comments. I compared the action noise with that of the other D, and there does seem to be a little more action noise. I've narrowed it down to when the hammer returns, kind a of a mild knocking sound. I tried voicing up the wippen cushion, but that didn't do anything. Could it be that the back under key felt is too hard? Would that solve the noisy action? (remember, this piano is less than 2 years old.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician
School of Music