[CAUT] more problems with the D

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:51:50 -0500

Call the dealer.  It should be a warranty issue.
dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@mail.smu.edu

From: <Wimblees@aol.com>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: [CAUT] more problems with the D

Two problems with the D. (Yes the same one)

First, I misinterpreted the faculty's comments. It wasn't=
 "brassy" as such, as much as it lacked focus. I perceived this=
 to mean to bright. So I voiced it down. But now he says it has=
 lost it's power. He says the hammers will never come back. Is he=
 right, or is there a way to get the power back on without them=
 becoming too brassy?

The other problem, which I also misunderstood, is a noisy action.=
 He said something about it when he complained about uneven=
 voicing with the soft pedal on, but I missed his comments. I=
 compared the action noise with that of the other D, and there=
 does seem to be a little more action noise. I've narrowed it=
 down to when the hammer returns, kind a of a mild knocking=
 sound. I tried voicing up the wippen cushion, but that didn't do=
 anything. Could it be that the back under key felt is too hard?=
 Would that solve the noisy action? (remember, this piano is less=
 than 2 years old.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician