[CAUT] Knabe Grand

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:51:21 -0500

List,

Would anyone happen to have a suggestion on where I might be able to find
someone to duplicate/repair a badly messed up pedal lyre on an old Knabe
grand, app. 6'3"? I
sent an e-mail to a tech friend of mine in this general area but I don't
know if
he'll have the time to do it, so in the meantime, I thought I'd see if anyone
had any other suggestions.

I was working with the pedals and suddenly, the whole bottom of it broke
and/or
came loose. It's obviously been worked on before, not very well. I'm not a
good
enough woodworker to do this one, so any suggestions would be welcome. Even
replacing it.

The one pictured in the Schaff catalogue "might" be adaptable but the
measurements
are somewhat different.

Theirs: 21¼" high, 13½" wide @ top, 10" wide @ pedals.
Mine:   23"  high, 12"  wide @ top, 8½" wide @ pedals.

There is a little flaring out in the design on the Knabe, so there would
probably
be room to "cheat" a little. It would be nice to have an exact duplicate but I
seriously doubt that's possible. Unless someone can duplicate some of the
parts.

Actually, I just took another look and realized that the only thing that would
have to be done is to duplicate the two tapered "legs" between the pedal
box and
the top and drill out and replace the old dowels that join the two.

I'll probably be putting this on the pianotech list tonight when I get
home, so
I apologize in advance to any of you who will end up getting two of these
posts.

Thanks.

Avery

Avery Todd