[CAUT] Knabe Grand

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:10:46 -0700

This summer I had a Sohmer grand w/ fluted legs, scrollwork lyre, etc, that
the got shoved around the theatre lobby, leg knocked off, & lyre crushed .
Not a pretty sight, & no possible way to duplicate it.  Both uprights were
broken right at the top of the pedal box at the smallest/weakest possible
spot in the turning.  I ended up using polyurethane liquid glue at the
breaks (this stuff needs good clamping or it will push the parts apart),
then drilled up through the pedal box into the uprights & glued in maple
dowels.  The repair is very solid & hardly visible...if you stand back about
20 feet, & squint your eyes into the darkness under the piano.

Actually it turned out pretty decently, but would have been better had I
located the center of the dowel/upright from the top & drilled a pilot hole.
I made an assumption (violating Otto's motto:  "Check everyting before you
do anything!") and didn't realize until too late that the dowels did not
extend all the way into the pedal box.  So I measured & centered as best I
could, but the drill hole breached the thin spot in the upright, allowing
the reinforcing dowel to protrude a bit.  I could have shaped that down, but
wanted the full strength, so I disguised it & it came out pretty well.

The poly glue is tough stuff on its own, & will hold pretty well -- even on
an end grain joint.  Just don't try to wipe off the excess.  Let it cure,
then chip/cut off the foam.

Otto