[CAUT] Ringing strings

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:25:41 -0500

We purchased 2 new "B"s last spring.  Both of them suffer from=
 what appears to be damper after ring but in reality is=
 sympathetic vibrations on the open strings E6 & above.  It is=
 most pronounced on A4 - E5 with all of them energizing the note=
 of the 3rd partial. (G#4 is fine because D#6 has a damper and=
 above E5 it just tapers off with the less acoustic power of=
 those higher notes).  On one of them C5 is particularly bad.  If=
 I put my finger on the open string G6 damping is very good.

Does anyone have a good fix?  I've talked to Steinway and they=
 don't have one.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts