[CAUT] Ringing strings

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:11:14 -0700

HTML MessageDave,

Try threading a bit of yarn through the speaking length, right next to =
the bridge.  If it's right next to the bridge pins and is just tight =
enough to stay in place, it won't choke the tone, but will take care of =
a lot of those extraneous zingers.  You can experiment with types & =
thicknesses of yarn, & how tight you tie it (has to be tied or vibration =
will work it out) to see what works.  May not do the job for your, but =
it's quick, cheap & instantly reversible.  It may need to be checked & =
pushed back on occasion to see that it doesn't migrate too far into the =
speaking length.

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David M. Porritt=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 11:25 AM
  Subject: [CAUT] Ringing strings

  We purchased 2 new "B"s last spring.  Both of them suffer from what =
appears to be damper after ring but in reality is sympathetic vibrations =
on the open strings E6 & above.  It is most pronounced on A4 - E5 with =
all of them energizing the note of the 3rd partial. (G#4 is fine because =
D#6 has a damper and above E5 it just tapers off with the less acoustic =
power of those higher notes).  On one of them C5 is particularly bad.  =
If I put my finger on the open string G6 damping is very good. =20

  Does anyone have a good fix?  I've talked to Steinway and they don't =
have one.

  dave

  David M. Porritt, RPT

  Meadows School of the Arts