[CAUT] FW: Voicing

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:06:52 -0700

Hi, Avery!

I thought about mentioning Charle's suggestion, but decided not.  This is
not because of any real problems with it, rather, and mostly, in this case,
because of what seemed to be the time issues involved.

I think the things to watch with this method (and, I think Charles would
agree) are:

  - Very careful judgement in making up the solution...the weakest you can
get away with, the better...not terribly scientific...sorry; and,
  - The type and condition of the hammers involved.  This works very well
in some situations, and not very well in others, largely dependent on the
hammers.  Generally, hammers that are harder to begin with (like the
Hamburg D), that are also in (at least) pretty good shape (as to shape,
string cuts, etc) will respond well.  Hammers that are too badly worn
(deeper cuts and/or poor shape and/or softer hammers...especially ones that
have already been over-hardened) do not respond as well.

So, Keena - How did things go?  We're all anxious to know!

Best.

Horace