[CAUT] Self voicing hammers/work hardening

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 31 May 2005 16:08:51 -0700

Hi, Fred,

At 11:34 AM 5/31/2005, you wrote:
>On 5/23/05 11:07 PM, "Susan Kline" <skline@peak.org> wrote:
>snip
> > I did try very dilute keytop/acetone on a few notes once, and I must admit
> > that I heard that spicky clicky sound ever afterward, even after needling
> > -- though I didn't go so far as to try to soak it out with acetone.
>snip
> > Regards,
> > Susan
>
>     Eric Schandall's method of applying keytop/acetone includes, after
>applying a small drop or two to the crown surface, waiting about 7 seconds
>(meanwhile inserting action/keys into cavity), then pounding each note you
>have keytopped several times while shifting the action with the shift pedal.
>This serves to "break it up while it dries," maybe drive it a wee bit below
>the surface. At any rate, it reduces the need to needle afterwards to a
>considerable degree. Often no needling is needed.

The problem with this solution is that both acetone and keytop is/are
transferred to the steel strings, where the acetone (virtually) instantly
accelerates whatever rust/scale build-up is already in progress.  (It also
does a pretty good job of messing up whatever shift voicing may have been
present.)

As to driving it "a wee bit below the surface"...unless the solution is too
strong to begin with, this argument fails on its premise.  That is, if the
solution is sufficiently thin to avoid the "spicky clicky" sound to which
Susan refers, it is also sufficiently thin to have penetrated the hammer
more effectively and efficiently than any amount of "pounding" can
realistically be expected to produce.

Sorry - this simply does not fly.

Best.

Horace