[CAUT] abel action centers seizing

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 02:03:02 -0400

Ed, I feel like "the guys who didn't get to go club." I 've had many =
cases like this from Abel Encore to the point that I stopped using them =
because WB said the problem was fixed (and he would give me a discount =
on some future sets for my trouble which never happened) but after that =
I got two more sets that were problematic. His fix works OK so do check =
with himself for current issue. My own best fix was Pianotek VS Profelt. =
I think it's alchohol and water and soap. Anyway I am very happy with =
the current Tokiwa issue although I had some trouble with them in the =
past too. Also Steinway factory went through a bad batch a few years =
ago. I even had some Renner with seizing years ago. Everyone seems to =
have problems from time to time. Sometimes it's the felt manufacturer =
and it's not caught until you catch it, as you have, down the line. You =
would think someone would be checking this stuff all along the way but I =
think the sad truth is caveat emptor and be prepared to repin or =
chemicalize. I do not agree that Protek is very helpful for this problem =
in fact after an initial loosening my experience is that it gets worse =
on Abels. Best advice try diffferent techniques and see what you like, =
as if I have to tell you that. Only the lonely, Chris Solliday=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ed Sutton=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2005 6:13 PM
  Subject: [CAUT] abel action centers seizing

  Dear List-

  Last summer I rebuilt the action of a Baldwin SF-10 using Abel Encore =
shanks and flanges. (I also used Tokiwa wippens with adjustable assist =
springs and made strike weight and front weight continuities.  Results =
were very good.)

  This was the student piano in a teacher's studio,  so it has had about =
20 hours a week with student playing, and the teacher used it for =
practice as well.

  Last week the teacher complained of "slow repetition" on 3 mid-range =
notes, which were caused by the action centers seizing at the hammer =
flange.  They give an audible squeak when moved!

  I understand this was a  problem a few years back with Abel flanges, =
supposedly not happening any more.

  Can anyone share knowledge and experience on this....if anybody's =
home...

  Thanks!

  Ed Sutton